Tuesday 9 October 2012

Warming Butternut Squash Soup with vegan "Creme Fraiche"

Right, so I lie. I didn't use a butternut squash to make this. I used a coquina squash which I purchased from Waitrose, because I'd never used one before. Don't get me wrong, it was very tasty but just a bit too sweet for soup. Wikipedia confirmed my suspicions that the squash is in fact sweeter than one of the butternut variety. But use whatever you like!

When you prepare the squash, make sure you save the seeds. We want to eat them!


As with soups, chop and change whatever you like to your tastes :)

Recipe:
1 cubed and roasted butternut squash. The roasting isn't essential but it adds tastyness to it! Also, if you just chop it in half and roast it like that it will be a lot easier to peel/ chop when it's come out the oven (leave it to cool first though :P) SAVE THE SEEDS! I'll tell you more about that later. If you don't wanna roast it first, add it in when you fry the onion and potato.
Lots of garlic
1 onion, peeled and chopped
Some fresh coriander 
Mixed, dried herbs
Stock (I use bullion stock by Marigold)
1 large potato, peeled and cubed
Paprika
Cayenne pepper
Curry powder
Salt 
Pepper
Some oil

Firstly, fry the onion and potato in a big soup pan. Fill a kettle with water and let that boil while they are frying. When they are tastily fried, add the butternut squash. Then add lots of boiled water, enough to cover the veg. Add in the dried herbs. Let it all simmer for about 30 minutes or until it's all a nice mush. Then add the rest of the ingredients, except for the fresh coriander. The rest of the ingredients go in according to taste. I would put a big serving of stock in, salt only if it needs it, pepper can go on top. When I first made this I put in too much cayenne pepper so it was pretty spicy. That is when I decided to make the VEGAN CREME FRAICHE! So when everything in cooked and tasty give it a GOOD OLD BLEND until it's really nice and smooth.

Serve the soup with a big blob of "creme fraiche" and chopped coriander.



No comments:

Post a Comment