Monday 1 April 2013

Beetroot Chocolate Brownies

Most of the cooking I do is experimenting. I don't really follow recipes and chuck stuff in. Which is why I don't actually know the recipe for these but I'll do the best I can!



My sister and I made these amazing brownies and I can proudly say they were the moistest brownies I've ever eaten! They have a deliciously different earthy flavour, which I loved. If you don't like this, use less beetroot.



Ingredients:

Brownies:
100g self raising white flour
50g ground almonds
250g sugar
2tbsp cocoa powder
180g dark chocolate
2 handfuls chopped walnuts
Vanilla essence 
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
Pinch of salt
3/ 4 beetroots
100g oil
100g vegan marg
200ml soy milk


Glaze:
One tbsp vegan margarine
3 heaped tbsp icing sugar
Left over beetroot juice (see recipe)



Method: 
Firstly, cook the beetroots. Prepare them by removing the roots and skin (you may want to use gloves or you'll get stained!) and chop them. Put them in a large bowl with a splash of water, cover, and microwave for 12 mins. Alternatively, use prepared beetroot. There should be some juice from the beetroot left over in the bottom of the bowl. Save this for the glaze.

Blend the beetroot in a food processor. Then add the flour, almonds, vanilla essence, salt, vinegar, soy milk and cocoa powder.



Next, put a bowl over a pan of water and add 120g of the chocolate. When it has melted, add the oil, marg and sugar. Let it all combine (don't burn the choc!). Add this mixture to the blender and BLEND. 

Chop the rest of the chocolate and add that, with the walnuts, to the mixture. Stir!



Pour into a greased baking tin and cook at 165c for 40 minutes. 





To make the glaze, put the icing sugar and marg in with the beetroot juice. Microwave just until the marg has melted and whisk to combine. Drizzle over the brownie when they are cooked. 




1 comment:

  1. Great recipe! I used pecans instead of walnuts. Not so keen on the icing… but I don’t really think the brownies need it. I will be making this again…

    ReplyDelete